The Great Saunter 2017 Registration Is Now Open
Welcome to The Great Saunter! Saturday, May 6, 2017
See New York City like never before in the Shorewalker’s epic urban hike, The Great Saunter! On Saturday May 6th 2017 covering 32-miles of beautiful waterfront and more than 20 parks along Manhattan’s incredible shorelines. Enjoy fabulous skyline views and natural landscapes rarely appreciated from within the city, all the while raising awareness to protect our parks, maintain the Westside promenades, restore the Eastside Greenway, redevelop the Harlem River, and connect the Greenway into a continuous path around the world’s most fascinating island! Join the more than 1400 hikers for this amazing journey you will always remember!
Register for the Great Saunter
Membership and Participation
- Membership to Shorewalkers must be in current standing to participate in the Great Saunter (renewals are required for expired memberships on or before May 6, 2017).
- Online registration for the Great Saunter includes a one-year membership to Shorewalkers.
- Participants who register online before April 15, 2017 will receive their Great Saunter materials by US Mail to the address in your member profile.
- Participants who register after April 15, 2017 must bring their registration receipt to the Registration Site on the day of the event to receive their materials.
- Day of the event registration, by cash, will not include a membership or a renewal to Shorewalkers. Cash purchases on the day of the event will be $25 per registrant. There are no discounts for family purchases.
- All registrations by US Mail (renewals or new memberships) must be received by March 20, 2017 (6 weeks in advance of The Great Saunter) to allow time for processing.
The Great Saunter Schedule:
7:00 A.M. Registration Opens-Fraunces Tavern (54 Pearl Street--Broad Street; New York NY 10004)
7:30 A.M. The Great Saunter begins!!!
9:30 A.M. Late Registration (West 42nd Street & Hudson Greenway by the Circle Line Terminal)
11:00 A.M Pass beneath Riverbank State Park (West 138th Street--restrooms available on the upper level in the park)
12:00 P.M. The Little Red Lighthouse (at the George Washington Bridge/West 178th Street)
1:00 P.M. Break-Inwood Hill Park: near the flagpole (Isham Street) and Registration.
4:00 P.M. Break-Carl Schurz Park on the East River Promenade (south side of the park at East 84th Street)
7:00 P.M. Certificates handed out and celebrate your Saunter at Fraunces Tavern!
Preparation for the Great SaunterPreventing Dehydration on Long Distance Hikes. Great Saunter Guide
Great Saunter Interactive MapRoute Information--route instructions, bathrooms, markets: About the Route
Participant 2016 videos:
Great Saunter Photos and VideoPhotos: Great Saunter 2016 PicturesPhotos: The Great Saunter West SidePhotos: The Great Saunter East Side2015 Photos: Great Saunter 2015 Pictures Video: Great Saunter 2014
Press:The News and Observer May 7, 2016: Saunter Your Way Around ManhattanNew York Racked: Walking 28 miles Around the Island of Manhattan--In a DayKCTV Los Angeles City Walk episode 5, 2013: The Great SaunterDaily News April 27, 2014:, The Great Saunter Hike Around Manhattan Reveals Hidden GemsBBC Travel May 3, 2013: Saunter Your Way Around ManhattanNew York Magazine May 7, 2012: Unforced March: Sauntering Along All 32 Miles of Manhattan's CoastlineNew York Times, Sept 17, 2010: Circling.Manhattan: Bring Extra SocksThe Guardian May 7, 2008: America Uncovered
A Thank-You to Our Sponsors and Donors:
New York City Parks and Recreation